Cabin fires can and do happen, mostly due to electrical faults. In this IMCA Safety Flash, a number of recent cabin fires – and their root causes – are examined, as well as proper procedures for handling and mitigating this risk.
For a start, the report gives details of a cabin fire resulting from electronic failure. Crew are reminded not to overload extension cables and to unplug devices when leaving cabins. Secondly, the problem of auto-igniting laundry fires is addressed: personnel are reminded to wash laundry at the correct temperature and never fold and stow hot laundry.
Finally, a few cases involving unplanned pressure releases are detailed, and workers are reminded to follow correct procedure in handling pressured objects and regularly review protection systems.