Further to the mailer we distributed earlier this month, a reminder that the updated towage Good Practice Guide, including the substantial addition of a new Stability Annex, is now available for orders – email Mark Ranson to order your copies.
This 2nd Edition has been updated from the original 2016 Guide in some key areas:
- Additional recommendations tailored to today's towage market
- New advice on using gog ropes to prevent girting
- Refined on the basis of feedback from international towage operators
- Extensive new annex on vessel stability: Tug Stability: A Basic Guide for Masters
Initial feedback includes:
"The new NWA stability publication is an excellent guide and one of the best that I have seen to date.
The format of the text and the illustrations are extremely clear and easy to follow. I will be placing a copy on all our vessels and will ensure crew members read and learn from the guide."
– Shaun Mansbridge, Williams Shipping Ltd.
All who wish to purchase copies – both NWA members and non-members – are advised to contact Mark Ranson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Guide and Stability Annex are also available in digital form, in the Members Area of the NWA website.
FEEDBACK AND UPDATES
The Good Practice Guide, including its Annexes, is a live document and will undergo regular updates to ensure that the guidance contained within it evolves with the towage market.
We welcome any feedback on this edition, and we will seek a wider consultation with other sections of the towage industry when the time comes for version three!
The NWA wishes to acknowledge the parties involved in the preparation of the Guide and Stability Annex:
- Captain J Mark Meade, Holyhead Towing, NWA Chairman to 2018
- Captain Gareth Bonner, SMS Towage, for Annex II: Tug Stability: A Basic Guide for Masters
- Mark Ranson, NWA Secretary, for the editing, comments and support
- Boskalis Smit, for their information on Tow Wire Socket maintenance