Safety Flash: Cabin Fires

Thursday 27th September 2018

Burnt Teatowel

Cabin fires can and do happen, mostly due to electrical faults. In this IMCA Safety Flash, a number of recent cabin fires – and their root causes – are examined, as well as proper procedures for handling and mitigating this risk.

Related Media

For a start, the report gives details of a cabin fire resulting from electronic failure. Crew are reminded not to overload extension cables and to unplug devices when leaving cabins. Secondly, the problem of auto-igniting laundry fires is addressed: personnel are reminded to wash laundry at the correct temperature and never fold and stow hot laundry.

Finally, a few cases involving unplanned pressure releases are detailed, and workers are reminded to follow correct procedure in handling pressured objects and regularly review protection systems.

 

« Return to News

LATEST NEWS FROM THE NWA

SAFETY FORUM REVIEW

On Thursday 17th January 2019, NWA members travelled to Windemere Lakeside Hotel to attend the 1st NWA Safety Forum of the year, prior to the annual Dinner and AGM. Notably, due to the combination of events, we saw a strong turnout, with around 50 members present to air their views and share their experiences.


Read More

SCOTTISH OFFSHORE WIND DEVELOPMENT EVENTS IN MARCH

In March, Scottish Offshore Wind is hosting 3 events relating to offshore wind (OW). These are for companies in OW, thinking of diversifying into it, or simply curious. 


Read More

NEW MCA CODE SETS STANDARD FOR MODERN WORKBOAT OPERATIONS - NWA

Much-anticipated revision to the Workboat Code presented at the National Workboat Association’s 2019 AGM, paving the way for further growth in the UK maritime sector


Read More

MEMBER LOGIN